When not writing author Sheri Poe-Pape can be found teaching the piano at Pape Conservatory of Music. Her first children's book Cassie's Marvelous Music Lessons combines her love of music with that writing.
1. What inspired you to write Cassie's Marvelous Music Lessons?
My former dog, Cassie, would knock my hand off the keys with her paw when I started warming up to teach piano and voice.
2. Are the characters in the book based on anyone in particular?
All characters are based on myself, my dog and former music students.
3. When reading Cassie's Marvelous Music Lessons what do you hope children will get out of it?
I hope they realise that a dog or anyone can be quite different from the rest, and in the end, we can all get along with a little bit of compromising and fun.
4. You chose to take the road of self publishing. What made you take this road?
I have discovered that it is not always what you know, but who you for traditional publishing.
5. If there was one thing you wished you had known before approaching publishers what would it be?
I wished I had known about their marketing abilities.
6. Now that you have traveled the self publishing road what message would you give to others who are at the beginning of their journey?
I would tell them to do it again and again this way.
7. What have you found to be the most rewarding thing about being an author?
I have discovered how much fun it is to read to children and also teach them creative writing.
8. What have you found to be the most difficult thing about being an author?
Getting some national book stores to keep their shelf stocked with my books.
9. Did you have the opportunity to choose the illustrator for your book?
Yes I did. I feel she did a super job.
10. When choosing an illustrator how did you make the choice?
I based it on other books the illustrator had already done.
11. As well as being an author you are the director of Pape Conservatory of Music where you teach the piano. Would you say the two overlap each other and if so how?
The music experiences that went into the book span over the lessons as well.
12. What next for author Sheri Poe-Pape?
I hope to get my book up to optimal sales level and start on the sequel. There are three sequels plus six other books that are different that will be published in the future.
Find out more about Sheri Poe-Pape and purchase Cassie's Marvelous Music Lessons www.sheripoe-pape.com